Monday 3 March 2014

Popcorm@Movies - A Year In Review


Well, i don't suppose anyone but me noticed, but today is the first anniversary of Popcorn@Movies. And over the past year i have loved sharing recommendations, lists, essays, editorials and of course reviews, which have sort of become this blogs tent-pole franchise. This blog has gone from being an extension of my obsession with cinema to being an obsession all by itself, and i have enjoyed being able to share my passion and love of cinema with all of you. Writing a blog can feel like a very insular process and at first it feels a little like throwing pasta at the wall, and just hoping some of it sticks, and luckily for me my review of Argo ended up being the spark plug of this blog convincing me that this blog was a reliable option.

When i started this blog i was suffering from a relatively deep depression, and i found that writing, and going to see movies was one of the few things in my life that i was able to enjoy, i found that having a rhythm and a regular activity allowed me to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to the impetus for this project, my best friend and brother, Paul. I do suspect that his suggestion was based more on him tiring of hearing me talk about the Oscars than from any altruism, but i was grateful nonetheless. Fear not Popcorn@Movies readers, there is a point to this post, i thought i would share some of my favorite reviews from the past year, some that were perhaps overlooked by readers!

STOKER: (http://josseonmovies.blogspot.fr/2013/05/stoker-thriller.html) I went to see this film not knowing what to expect, and was hugely impressed, Stoker is atmospheric, tense and suspenseful, and provides fantastic performances from its leads
SOARING OVER THE UNCANNY VALLEY: (http://josseonmovies.blogspot.fr/2013/06/soaring-over-uncanny-valley.html) This essay attempts to analyze the uncanny valley, and explores why it is such an interesting phenomenon and why so many motion capture animated films seem to fall into it.
THE PARADIGM SHIFT - PART 2: (http://josseonmovies.blogspot.fr/2013/07/the-paradigm-shift-part-2.html) This essay analyzes the story and concepts of Cloud Atlas (otherwise known as the greatest film ever made!) and looks at the adaptation of the book to the big screen.
COMPUTER GENERATED VS HAND DRAWN: (http://josseonmovies.blogspot.fr/2013/10/computer-generated-vs-hand-drawn.html) This is an essay which looks at the similarities between CGI animation and traditional hand drawn films of which i am a huge proponent.
THE BACKLASH AND AGAINST BLACKFISH: (http://josseonmovies.blogspot.fr/2014/01/the-backlash-against-blackfish.html) This was Popcorn@Movies first ever current affairs article, analyzing the backlash against SeaWorld as a result of documentary Blackfish.

So there we have it, my favorite articles from the past year, here's to the past year and to the next. I'm still here almost forty thousand views later and i hope to keep growing and developing this website.Thank you for reading and keep up the good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment