Sunday 3 January 2016

Food Glorious Food

A part of the beauty in maintaining a totalitarian editorial control is the ability to write exactly what you want, without accountability from anyone except your readers, this website has seen many iterations it has been about cinema and later different forms of media, it has been a weekly column, and a collection of essays about current topics, which brings us aptly to the next stage of its revolution. Food.

I have always been passionate about food, but recently my passion has become almost obsessive, and I have become an avid explorer of different recipe books, of exotic ingredients and of cookery spending hours in the kitchen, finding solace in kneading bread dough, or in the curious scent of fried mushrooms in butter loaded with garlic and parsley.

An English writer whose name has long been forgotten spoke of the importance, in literature of having readers as well as writers, and indeed much the same philosophy can be applied to cooking, even if your culinary exploits are disappointing at best, this needn't hinder your enjoyment of food, and as a collective, I feel we have rather lost our ability to take pleasure in what we put in our mouths.

We live in an era in which people are far more passionate about what they don't eat than what they actually do eat, people will wax lyrical for hours about being gluten free, or about the benefits of cutting out dairy, but people very rarely talk as passionately about what they eat, for fear of sounding greedy or gluttonous.

My food philosophy is fairly simple, I only cook foods that are enjoyable to cook or eat, which excludes the cooking of stressful and complicated soufflés or sponges, I'll leave that to the contestants on The Great British Bake Off, which becomes compulsory viewing amongst me and my housemates come late next summer.

Food is after all necessary in order to sustain life, and is thus something we should all be passionate about. I will admit that I am encouraged mainly by greed, and that gluttony my primary reason for cooking, I would, for instance find it very difficult to be a professional chef, because the idea of cooking something and not indulging in it afterwards is incredibly foreign to me.

Which brings us finally to the purpose of this blog, my intent is not to showcase what a domestic goddess I am, for as my housemates can attest, I am anything but. Nor is it to show off about how light my Victoria sponges can be, it is merely a vehicle for me to share with you my passion for food, however those passions may manifest themselves.
Bon Appétit!


“Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what’s for lunch.”  - Orson Welles

No comments:

Post a Comment