Sunday 24 July 2016

Potato Korma

Part of what I love so intensely about indian cuisine, is their lack of fear at serving carbs with carbs with carbs. I adore carbs, as was illustrated recently when I ordered a jacket potato with a side of chips. My adoration of starch aside though a potato curry served with rice might sound a rather bizarre prospect, in all honestly it is wonderfully comforting.

I've added carrots to this recipe in addition to the traditional potatoes, and I've used a korma curry paste, making this more of a spiced dish than a spicy dish. This dish is also vegan, entirely accidentally, as I used coconut cream instead of dairy cream to make a lighter, less rich curry.

Start by prepping your veg, chop the potatoes and carrots into large chunks and place in a large heavy bottomed saucepan. Salt and cover with water and bring to the boil. Cook for 15 minutes until tender and drain. Put the saucepan back on the heat and add the korma paste. Stir with a wooden spoon to coat the vegetables in the paste, and add the coconut cream. Stir until the cream has combined with the paste and add a large dash of sea salt flakes and some crushed black pepper.

Turn down the heat and simmer the curry until it has reached your desired level of wetness. I enjoy my curries relatively dry. Serve on a bed of cooked brown rice.

Ingredients

250g small potatoes
2 large carrots
250ml coconut cream
2 tablespoons korma paste
salt & pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment